Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2007

Out Gunned.



Out Magazine put big old mess Marc Jacobs on the cover, but as in life, it's what's inside that counts. First, an interview with Tim Gunn.


So you didn't grow up fixated on fashion?
I was fixated on architecture and interiors, which of course had everybody worried. I had a really butch father — so butch I thought maybe he was a closet case. He was an FBI agent and a sports lover, and the only sport I could even participate in was swimming, because it was nice and clean and you didn’t sweat.

On politics:

Who on Capitol Hill needs
Tim Gunn's Guide to Style most?
Laura Bush. Oh, my God!

On Project Runway:

You have no influence over the judges?

None. It keeps me an honest man. I have no interaction with them at all, but that doesn't mean they don't drive me to total despair.

And how do they do that?

How do the judges drive me to total despair? By smoking crack! By making decisions I can't fathom.


On his show:
You're quick to point out that
Guide to Style isn't a typical makeover show.
I'm not a fashion Svengali. I don't throw clothes at you and tell you if you wear these things, all your fashion foibles will go away. I'm a fashion therapist.


On his personal life:

How's your romantic life?

I haven’t been in a relationship since 1982. God, that sounds pathetic. But I was so severely hurt that I’ve never, ever gotten over it. I was so madly and desperately in love that I didn’t see the end coming. It was a routine night on the couch watching television, and he turned to me and just said, 'I don’t have the patience for you. I can’t do this anymore.' After nine years. I still remember leaving his apartment, driving down Rock Creek Parkway in Washington, D.C., thinking,
Maybe I’ll just drive right off the bridge.


Then they followed up with their favorite PR alums by making them pose for a dorky picture. Emmett says they had to "make it work" with tin foil, whatever that means.




No comments:

Post a Comment