Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

T Lo Interviews Bad Mommy (again)

The Queen of Bad Mommies everywhere.


As you know, Laura's got a new book coming out in 2010 and we don't know about you, but we're all kinds of excited about it. How could we not be? Our friend is an author! That makes us more fabulous vicariously. This will be the first book about motherhood we'll be reading since we used to sneak peeks at our mothers' old Erma Bombeck books as a kid. If you're planning on pre-ordering, we can hook you up via the banner ad to the right. In the mean time, since a book web site and facebook page was just launched, we figured we'd check in with her and get some sound bites.

Architect, fashion designer, now author? How did a book come about?
I was originally approached by an editor at Random House who asked me if I had ever thought of writing a book. She was apparently urged on by the gays in her office. I started writing my stories down and with the help of another writer, Amy Scheibe, got them organized into potential chapters and put a proposal together. Random House liked the proposal and made an offer.

What is the book about?
It’s a collection of stories about raising my six kids in Manhattan, my approach to motherhood, with a little bit of Project Runway thrown in for good measure. It’s a collection of essays.

Are you pleased with how the book came out?
It’s hard to judge your own work but the initial reaction to the book has been amazing. Sony Entertainment optioned the book to be adapted as a scripted television comedy, with Jamie Tarses as executive producer. Sort of Sex and the City meets Malcolm In The Middle. I went to Los Angeles during network pitch season and made the rounds to all the networks. Fox picked up the project and ordered a pilot script. Which is totally exciting. Can you imagine, the same network as Family Guy and Glee! Jane Lynch would be a perfect Laura.

An audio book publisher also picked up the book, and I get to narrate it. I love listening to David Sedaris reading his material, I only hope I can do as good a job.

If you have read my articles on The Daily Beast, the book is very similar. I think that people are responding to my more relaxed approach to motherhood. And because it is all delivered with a healthy dose of humor, it’s easy to swallow.

When can we get the book?
You two can have an autographed copy for free, otherwise it’s listed on the major book sites as a preorder, but it doesn’t ship until April. For a sneak peek you can read the introduction at my book web site. I don’t have a web site, but my book does.

You also have a Facebook page for the book.
Yes, I also have a facebook page where I will post dates for appearances and keep everyone updated about the television show for FOX.

And when are
you going to start twittering like we told you to?
I hope I can find the time to do it a couple of times a day.


[Image: Courtesy of Laura Bennett]


Post a Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment