Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Kashou Nuts



While you're breathlessly waiting for our opinions on the second half of Rami's collection, head on over to AfterElton and EW and check out what chrome dome himself has to say:

AfterElton

AE: Something that comes up frequently in discussions of your work is that you were too good, too polished, already too successful. In fact, Tim Gunn made a comment that this was literally the first season there could have been any real competition for you. Do you think that you were being held to a higher standard because of that?

Rami Kashou:
I think I'm successful in terms of creating a brand that is acknowledged, and a reputation, yet still needing backing in terms of finance. So it's a question of successful in the PR department, in reaching out to certain celebrities and making collections, staying above water and doing what I love, but still waiting for that moment when I can have investors behind my company.

AE: I noticed when Tim visited you in Los Angeles on the second to last episode, you introduced your partner as one of your best friends, rather than as your boyfriend or partner. Our readers all commented on that and I was wondering — were you hesitant to be identified as an out gay contestant, and what was the reason you didn't identify your partner that way?

RK
: You can't judge a book by its cover. People hear something, and they immediately assume that I was trying to hide that he was my boyfriend. We are together. He is my boyfriend. But here's the thing: this has been a very difficult experience, and we were split up during that time. We had some major issues. And I've been so consumed in my work.

EW

EW: On the subject of draping: Do you feel like you were portrayed in the right light in regards to that throughout the season? You mentioned it was only four of 11 challenges...

RK: I think it was used in a way that... It was a marketing thing. It was a way to stereotype me to make my part in the show more controversial. It's just very simple: Go to ramikashou.com and you will see that I do so much more than draping. You have to have a signature, and I'm very proud of it. It was used on the show to create controversy, and some people will eat it up and fall for it, and those who know better, know better. It's that simple.

The other thing that the judges dinged you for was colors. Do you regret using the colors you used in your finale line?

RK: Absolutely not. I'd rather show more color than less. Quite frankly, every season is about new colors. It's about new ideas. If they chose a more black collection than a collection that had more color, I don't think that's a negative thing. How can you criticize color? You might be a fan of green; I might be a fan of blue. It's a personal take. If you look on the runways, the magenta color is a very common color for this coming season. I would not change my choice of colors. Absolutely not.


[Photos: WireImage/Getty Images]

No comments:

Post a Comment