Search This Blog

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Malan Breton on Australia's Next Top Model

Darlings, our very own Malan Breton from Taiwan appeared on Australia's Next Top Model.



The three finalists, Alexandra Girdwood, Samantha Downie, and Demelza Reveley went to New York and modeled for Malan's retrospective show at the Eli Fine Gallery in New York.


Since once again the topic du jour in the fashion industry revolves around models, we sat the Suave One down to answer a few questions about the event and modeling in general.

Darling, how did this opportunity come about for you?
I was chatting with my business partner about doing a retrospective of my work, including pieces prior to Project Runway. I received a call two days later saying that Australia's Next Top Model wanted to host the show and feature their final three girls.

Tell us a little bit about the whole experience.
It was fascinating being back under the eye of the reality camera! I found myself incredibly shy, but after a bit you, forget that they are there and it was different not being a contestant this time, rather being a host of sorts. the girls were so open to new things. They were very excited to be in NYC and I think it was Alex who had seen me on Project Runway, she was very sweet. When I met the girls I was so shy and got so tongue tied. Then having to sit through my own show was... well we never get to do that, it was fascinating and nerve wrecking at the same time, thank god people like the clothes. The music we used for the show and everything fit the mood of the gallery so perfectly, I had not done such a small setting in a while and the intimacy was wonderful, with just over a hundred people there.

Any difference between American models and Australian models?
Models are models, I think these girls as it was really their first experience they were so excited and starry eyed, it was very sweet. I will say though on behalf of the show, it is the only franchise in eight years to produce a supermodel, Alice Burdeau, they really know what they are doing in Australia.

What's the most important thing you look for when selecting models?
When I select models I look for girls who fit the mood of my show, who have a strong presence on the catwalk , who every eye goes to when she is in a dress. I also look for girls who are not terribly terribly thin, I look for fresh faces that are very confident.

Any backstage model story/dish you want to share?
Oh my darlings, the beaver corset from my Fall 2005 Collection, which you see me talking about on the outtakes video on the ANTM site. Apparently the girls had to do a tampon commercial as one of their challenges, and they had a puppet that was a beaver they had to talk to and the slogan was "love your beaver" no joke ! So when they saw the sheered beaver corset, well I'm sure you can imagine...

Favorite model?
I had two favourites Demelza, who received a lot of harsh commentary by the NY offices about her weight. Darlings, she is 16, just barely a girl. Then there was Samantha, One of the most exotic beauties that I have ever seen, Like Helena Christensen beautiful. I loved Alex but her walk in my retrospective was a concern.

What do you think about the whole all-black Vogue Italia issue/statement?
I think it's about time!!! I try to have a very diverse mix of girls on the catwalk because my clients are diverse, I get so tired of calling agencies and hearing we have only one Asian girl, only one black girl. I look at a lot of the innovators like Yves Saint Laurent, and Hubert de Givenchy who were the first designers to have diverse showings. These men were genius. I still do not understand why there is racism in fashion. I remember once telling someone, who will remain nameless, that I was going to close my collection with an Asian model, the first thing that was said to me was, you should rethink that...Can you imagine?!? I am so happy to see these beautiful women celebrated.





[Photos: WireImage/Landmark Media - Video: YouTube/kimmikimmileon]


Post a Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment