Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Korto Momolu Jewelry Line

It's finally here, poodles! And wait till you see them!



Project Runway season 5 finalist Korto Momolu has launched her jewelry line on her site. Back when we featured the pictures of her Bryant Park show, many of you commented that you would love to buy her jewelry so when we heard about her new line, we picked up the phone and called her to hear more.

Inspiration:
"I tried to do a follow-up on the few pieces that I got to show at Fashion Week. They’re very much Asian and African inspired and it’s a fusion between these two ethnic cultural backgrounds that I really love. I found myself always doing things that are Asian inspired."

Colors:
"I used a lot of the bright colors that I love to use. The ocean greens, really beautiful yellows, purples, and hot fuchsia pinks. Very vivid colors, fun colors, happy colors…those are the colors I really love."

Materials:
"I use a lot of African beads as well as a lot of things made out of resin because my necklaces tend to be chunky and bulky, so I try to use materials that are not as heavy as using the actual stones and metals. A lot of glass beads. Some of the beads are from Ghana, Kenya, and Tanzania. I love texture, there’s a lot of texture, my variation of textures, in all the pieces. I love turquoise. I also used feathers in some of the designs, I’ve always loved feathers and there are many different variations of feather earrings, so I thought “How can I make mine different?” I like the chains and the feathers. It has a soft and a hard feel to it. They’re made out of silver."

"Some of the pieces are one of a kind, especially the really detailed ones, but a lot of them can be reproduced."

She also told us she'll be adding more jewelry to the site in the future as well as launching a handbag line in 2010. That girl is workin' it. Just take a gander at these gorgeous pieces:










[Photos: Courtesy of Korto Momolu]



Post a Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment