Search This Blog

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Leanne Marshall for Bluefly

Bluefly held a little thing where Project Runway Season 5 winner Leanne Marshall, our very own Judy Noodles, previewed her line. We got her thoughts on a range of topics while checking out the clothes.

On the inspiration for this collection:
"My inspiration for this collection was kind of an infusion of flowers and a lot of what inspires me is continuing along with that; petals, kind of those shapes that you saw me do on PR, but we'll call it 'Noodles Lite' since you guys like to say that I love to slap them all over my clothes, because it's light on the noodles.

You know, this collection is really about accessibility; it’s for so many different women, so many different figures; there's a lot of color. I thought about you guys when I picked the palette, I'll be honest. It's more color than I've used in previous collections and I really wanted to make that a statement while keeping the details a little bit more refined. You know, it's a collection where you can wear the separates with so many different things that you already have in your wardrobe and there's also that special gown for special events; it will turn heads and knock them dead."


On the fabrics used:
"These are all mostly sustainable in the separates, with the exception of the skirt and the long gown. Everything else used is. Bamboo jersey, kind of due to time constraints, with the exception of the coral, everything else; there was A LOT of sourcing involved; a lot of fabric shortages, last minute freak-outs of, 'Omigod, I hope I can get more in that color!' and luckily I did."


On moving to NY. Has that influenced the way you work? Has it helped you? Has it been more of a distraction?
"It's definitely different. I mean, It's a much faster pace here. There's less nature here. And yeah, it has changed the way that I work a little bit in terms of being on this schedule that you need to be on to be in New York Fashion. It's like, you need to have your samples done by this certain point, do your look books, do your trade shows, source your fabrics, it's crazy and it's a drastic change from, 'oh look, I got this fabric, I'll just whip up a dress and like on my floor, in my bedroom'. So it's a different scenario altogether, but I'm still largely inspired and influenced by nature and the things that I've always been."


On the (gorgeous) blue gown:
"Yeah, I love the gown. I'm really happy with how that came out. It's kind of a little bit reminiscent of what you saw on the runway in my final collection and I kind of kept that in mind, what people had seen me do on the show and wanted to cater to that in this collection and give the customer what they want from me."


On the price point:
"They vary, but the mid-range is 90-300. . I think it's really important right now to keep the price points lower, but also to create an amazing product that many different people can wear."


On using sustainable fabrics for her collections:
"It's something that I feel like I need to do, to be a responsible person and designer. And I think that we should all, as designers, think about what steps we can take in order to reduce our carbon footprint, but for me, look at these clothes. They're great. You can wear them so many different places. They're beautiful on their own and oh by the way they're also sustainable."


On the PR experience:
"I feel so incredibly lucky and fortunate to have this experience and the exposure that PR has brought to me. It's crazy to think that it was a year ago, so much has changed. I don't feel that I've changed as a person but I've changed in terms of my business. It's grown immensely and I'm finally there. I still have a ways to go before I'm Michael Kors or DVF but I'm very much on the way."


On the most important topic of all, us:
"I love you guys so much. Don't be mean to me. My noodles! Don't criticize my noodles! You guys actually remind me of one of my good friends, Auggie, back in Portland, who's so bitchy, but hilarious....Bravo should have you both on the payroll."


The collection will be available on Bluefly next Wednesday, July 8th.


More pics:





[Photos: Bluefly.com/Projectrungay.blogspot.com]



Post a Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment