Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Ripping the PRC Collections: Evan Biddell


Tom: Fucking stunning.
Lorenzo: The jacket/cape is amazing. Love the contrasting colors.
Tom: Agreed. And the silhouette was just beautiful. Pfft. Pockets.
Lorenzo: Get over it.


Lorenzo: I love it. I just think hoods are way done.
Tom: I agree, but the contrasting gold was just beautiful.
Lorenzo: It's just such a done version of "fierce," you know? Like the whole "unveiling the hood at the end of the runway" thing.
Tom: No argument there, but I still love this look. The detail on the skirt is really striking.


Tom: Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous coat. It's not exactly reinventing the wheel, but it's beautifully done.
Lorenzo: It's a shame you can't see it in the picture, but the back was a thing of beauty.
Tom: At first I thought that was a bag, but it's actually a giant pocket. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Love the giant buttons on the sleeves though. Can definitely see the cartoon vibe he said inspired him.


Lorenzo: I hated the whole thing.
Tom: It's just a basic dress with some embellishments that do nothing for it. I hate the color.
Lorenzo: I don't mind the color so much but I hate the detail at the waist and hem.
Tom: And I think the skirt's too full. Plus, giant bow. Do I need to elaborate?


Lorenzo: Absolutely love it. Just look at that skirt.
Tom: It's such a great silhouette. A very tight bodice with a very short, full skirt. Just looks fresh to me. Could do without the industrial gloves. She looks like she's laying tar on a roof.
Lorenzo: And the bow. Hate the bow.


Tom: Love it. Fantastic silhouette. Kind of a reverse of the previous look. Very tight bottom with a full, blousy top.
Lorenzo: I love the look but I think the shorts are a little too short.
Tom: No, I think they work perfectly, especially with the way the top balloons out in the back.


Tom: This model was horrible. Nothing wrong with bringing a little sass, but she looked like she was gunning for a fistfight.
Lorenzo: I love the look. Love the shorts and the way they're tailored. I love the weaving detail on the jacket.
Tom: I do too, but I hated the giant split hood on the back of it.
Lorenzo: And he went a little overboard on the buttons in the back.


Lorenzo: I didn't like this.
Tom: Well, I think we've seen the dress plenty of times before. It's just not that interesting.
Lorenzo: It's just very cartoony.
Tom: Well, it's supposed to be. I did like the jacket, especially the detail on the collar and hem.
Lorenzo: It looks too much like a cartoon villainess. Too "evil queen."
Tom: And not in the good sense.


Tom: I loved this.
Lorenzo: So did I. My god, the back of that skirt was AMAZING.
Tom: I know. It's a shame, because this is a really terrible picture of a really striking garment.
Lorenzo: Love the vest too.
Tom: And the collar.


Tom: I think this is stunning. I have just one complaint.
Lorenzo: I know what it is.
Tom: It's that Vosovic-esque triangle right in the middle of her torso.
Lorenzo: You're right. It serves no purpose and it could have ruined an otherwise perfect look.
Tom: Despite that, the pleating and the origami-like work on the cups is just beautiful.
Lorenzo: Another thing that is no small accomplishment: This was a skin-tight dress that went past her ankles and she had absolutely no problem walking in it. That is a well-made, well-designed garment.


To sum it up, this was, in our opinion, exactly the kind of collection that should always win a Project Runway competition. It was beautifully executed and it was unique and fashion forward and still consisted of the kinds of clothing that many women would wear or wish they could wear. It was youthful and exploding with creativity. It's something of an easy cliche, but in that sense, his collection really did remind us of Jay McCarroll's. Young, fun, beautiful and wearable.

One other thing: the criticism levied by many regarding the fact that he basically made the whole collection at the very last minute. We have absolutely no idea why that matters at all. What matters is the end product, not how he got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment