Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Case Clothed

iVillage has the new Case Clothed up and Frank and Finn make appearances! It is, of course, fabulous.





As always, you can read it here.

Also, we got in touch with the strip's illustrator (and S3 alum) Robert Best who gave us a little interview.


Well, let's start with a Robert Best update. Has your life changed after Project Runway? You had a pretty solid career before the show - Isaac Mizrahi, Anne Klein and Donna Karan not to mention your years as the Principal Designer at Mattel. What have you been working on lately? Are you getting laid more?

The most significant way my life has changed since Project Runway is that I am recognized by every manner of person in the oddest places. It's not like being mobbed by adoring fans - it's more like ,"Say didn't we meet at Katy's wedding... how do I know you?" it makes a person feel a little paranoid because you reach a point where you just wanna scream" Yes... it's me - I was on the third season of Project Runway...'" the person will stare back at me perplexed and respond with something like "Dude, I was just wondering if I could work in..." or something equally humbling. Then when people seem to look at you too long, you just assume you have toilet paper stuck to your shoe or something. I thought it would all kinda go away now that there is a new cast to follow but I guess it will always be a part of what people associate with me. I pretty much have just been busy with Barbie and back to business as usual at Mattel. I get laid about the same as before. Maybe just a little more interest from some, because more people know who I am.

How are things in Barbie world? Why do you think Barbies are so universally popular, not just with little girls, but grown women and middle-aged gay men?

Barbie remains as awesome as ever. I'm very fortunate in my job. I think Barbie is universally popular because she's escapist in that good way like "Golden Girls", or an old Hollywood musical. Barbie reminds us of our childhoods and for most people those years are happy times. It doesn't seem like something bad is gonna happen when Barbie's around. Plus she has a kick-ass wardrobe and she's gone through more image overhauls than Madonna so you gotta love her.

We still remember when Laura showed us that sketch you did of her back in the day. She absolutely adored it. It's ironic that now you're sketching her once a month. What special features or characteristics about Laura inspired you to draw her that way? We noticed the character even has the infamous Hermes bag.

Laura is easy to draw because she's one of those people who is larger than life. In a way she is cartoon-y because she has this red hair, wears red lipstick and has this very specific style that translates really well into a sketch. In some ways it's almost a good lesson in style, if you distill a person's style into a cartoon or a sketch - does it translate, and if it doesn't maybe they're just boring (and I should know). Like Jackie O was big hair big sunglasses and neat little sixties suits with pillboxes, etc. I've always wanted to do a cartoon type book sketching all the great fashion icons who've inspired me like Catherine Deneuve in" Belle Du Jour", Julie Christie in "Darling", Capucine in "The Pink Panther"... maybe one day. But for now I have a ball sketching Laura in all her fabulosity.

People still talk about that fabulous coat you gave Laura. How was your relationship with her on the show? She's always had nothing but wonderful things to say about you; how talented you are and how beautifully you sketch. Now's your chance to let it all out. She's really a hardcore bitch, right?

The truth about Laura... this is the part where I say she's completely crazy or I really only took the job for the money, but honestly I've always liked Laura and though we shared insults on the show it was all in good fun. I don't think I would have liked her if she hadn't held her own or been as straight talking as she is. I like that Laura calls things as she sees them, and she pulls no punches. I prefer people with strong, sharp personalities and Laura is good that way. I don't have much time or patience for dull or stupid people.

She told us that she had nothing to do with iVillage hiring you for the strip; that you submitted your resume and they loved it. Needless to say, we're not surprised. What made you decide to give it a try?

When Laura contacted me with the iVillage project it just seemed like a really natural fit, because we get along and we have similar taste. It also just seemed like it would be a fun opportunity, and I love to draw so why not! I submitted some samples of my sketches and they were very excited at the idea, so it went forward pretty smoothly.

Do you watch Season 4? If so, what do you think of the designers? Rooting for anyone?

I am watching season 4. I'm pretty bored. Not really rooting for anyone, maybe Sweet P cuz I love her name, and Rami was such an asshole to her and she came out looking like the better person so that was fun, otherwise it is what it is.


[Illustrations: Robert Best/iVillage.com - Photo: Wireimage - Screencap: Project RunGay]

No comments:

Post a Comment