Search This Blog

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Project Runway Canada Smorgasbord


"Toronto designer Stephen Wong was an early and consistent favourite on the debut season of Project Runway Canada, both among the designers and the audience. Unfortunately, he exited the show after the last challenge before the three finalists went on to present their collections at L’OrĂ©al Fashion Week.

What was the mistake that sent you home?
The problem was, the zipper in my dress broke, and because of that, I had to stitch it up by hand, and it made it look kind of bad. ... I don’t even know if it’s so much the zipper; with that challenge it was to make a dress for Iman and I think it depended heavily on who she wanted to wear. I had a sense that M-G (Marie-Genevieve Cyr) was going to be in, because they couldn’t have just three boys, so it was going to be me or one of the other boys, so it was kind of a toss-up. Having watched the show I know that both Biddell and Lucian have a really, really strong following, so maybe it was just my time.

What didn’t you get to show the judges and the audience?
It’s funny, because with the challenges you don’t get to show your true skills, simply because of the stress factor. It’s a show. It’s not really about design so much, because that’s not how you really work outside of the show. So, I would say what I missed out on showing the judges is my abilities as far as designing a full, complete look ... I never felt as though I put out something that I was completely satisfied with.

What will you always remember from your experience on PRC?
I remember so much, but I’ve also forgotten so much of it because it was such a fast process, and it was such a blur. Iman has always been an idol to me, and something that left a huge impression on me was the level of talent that I saw on the show.

Who do you want to win?
When I started the show I was really rooting for M-G to win because she had shown me things that, even though they weren’t my taste, I thought they were new, and I think that fashion is about what’s new. Even if you’re reinterpreting things from the past, it’s all about new, and you have to be able to switch it up and change it to make it new to the eye, and M-G was really good at that."

PLUS...


The Three Finalists Discuss Highs and Lows

"Lucian Matis

Was the apparently simmering feud between you and Biddell real?
I think it was. It was quite intense because he was trying to irritate everybody and intimidate everybody and I don’t like people who are trying to play those kind of games. So I just kind of ignored him.

What was the high point in creating your own collection for the finale?
Seeing it on the runway ... it was extraordinary.

What was the low point?
The low point was when I once broke down and didn’t feel like being there.

Marie-Genevieve Cyr
When you were eliminated from the show, did you imagine that you’d still end up in the final three?
Of course no — I’d just been eliminated, and I was leaving in the van and I did my exit interview ... (Coming back) was like re-starting the show for me: I’m back, and I’m going to prove you were wrong.

What was the high point in creating your own collection for the finale?
I guess we’re a little bit more free, and I was back in Montreal, and in my little studio trying to make a collection, and we were free to move in whatever direction we wanted.

What was the low point?
In a way I found it really hard because I was creating a collection for Project Runway Canada and not for me, because you’re doing it to win. I found it really hard because I had Iman and the judges in the back of my mind all the time.

Evan Biddell

Were you really the arrogant guy with the bad attitude, or were you just edited that way?
Well, I think there was a lot of arrogance — no, there was a lot of confidence — in all the final three ... I was probably the most cocky because I thought it would be funny — I mean being cocky about fashion is just hilarious. It’s just a dress, you know.

What was the high point in creating your own collection for the finale?
I guess seeing it come to life. It was a lot of fun making it. It was my first collection.

What was the low point?
Probably getting organized, and getting studio space to do the collection. It was pretty chaotic."


PR CANADA EPISODE 11: FINALE


You can watch the rest of the episode here.

[Photos: John Van Der Schilden/Slice - Video: MsRoyalT/YouTube]

No comments:

Post a Comment