Search This Blog

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Ripping the PRC Collections: Marie Genevieve Cyr


Lorenzo: Love the top, love the skirt, love everything.
Tom: Me too. I agreed with Iman when she pointed out that the model looked just like her. It would have been cool if they'd all been styled that way.
Lorenzo: Yeah, the styling for this collection was the best out of the three. Loved the barrettes in the hair.
Tom: And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I loved the colored tights. Anyway, the dress. Loved the hem, and the strap across the bust.
Lorenzo: This is asymmetrical done right. Jeffrey, take notes.
Tom: It's a clean form of asymmetry.


Tom: Dirty, dirty asymmetry. This one just does not work for me.
Lorenzo: I hate the pockets. They make her look wider. I hate where they're positioned.
Tom: I hate pockets in skirts generally. That jacket looks like she put it on upside down.
Lorenzo: I just don't understand the jacket at all.


Tom: I think this is gorgeous.
Lorenzo: I agree, but that strap across her boobs is just wrong. It's too tight.
Tom: True. It kinda looks like a pink bandage, but I love the "belt" under the bust and the color combo.
Lorenzo: And that's the right way to do pockets.
Tom: If you say so.
Lorenzo: Bitch.
Tom: I just don't get pockets in skirts. What, is she gonna put her car keys in there?


Lorenzo: That's a mess.
Tom: I like the dress.
Lorenzo: I kind of like the dress but I hate the jacket.
Tom: Okay, true. And the line in her stockings looks like she bleeds pink, but there's a cool kind of punk rock architectual vibe going on here.


Tom: I think this is awful.
Lorenzo: Is she pregnant or something?
Tom: Do Canadians carry their young in their hips?
Lorenzo: You're awful.
Tom: No, THAT's awful. Terrible proportions and I hate the overall shininess of it.
Lorenzo: And her Cinnamon bun tits are too small.


Lorenzo: GORGEOUS.
Tom: I agree. Best look in the whole collection.
Lorenzo: She's still working that architectural vibe, but more sophisticated.
Tom: And great color combo. Although I'll say this: it's good that her color story was so cohesive, but there's such a thing as being too cohesive.
Lorenzo: It's basically the same three colors going down the runway.


Lorenzo: I love this.
Tom: I don't love it as much as you do.
Lorenzo: I just don't like the color of the tights. I think it was too much for the look.
Tom: Funny, that was one of the things I do like. Although I agree. To use a Gunnism, that's a lotta look.
Lorenzo: True, but I think she brings it all together nicely.
Tom: It's an "almost, but not quite" for me. I like each piece individually, but all together there's too much color, too much shiny and too much of that criss-crossy ruching.


Lorenzo: I would have loved it if the sleeves matched.
Tom: She's going for that asymmetry. I don't mind it. It's got a fresh look to it. It's just that her left boob looks like it has lips.
Lorenzo: True. Fresh is the right word. She's doing a lot but she's keeping the whole thing simple.
Tom: The Barbie colors are really getting to me though.


Lorenzo: I absolutely hate this. I hate everything about it.
Tom: Aren't we cranky? No, I agree. It's pretty awful. She must've been in a bad mood the day she designed this one.
Lorenzo: It's like a bad mood in dress form.
Tom: It's that fabric. It's so heavy and dour-looking.


Tom: You hated this one, right?
Lorenzo: No, I just don't get that jacket. What's that thing on the right lapel?
Tom: It doesn't bother me that much but man, is that a high waist or what?
Lorenzo: High waists are back.
Tom: I know, but something about this doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the colors that are setting it off. It just seems like it should fit her a little tighter.


To sum up and to address a couple points in yesterday's comments, this collection felt new and young to us. Does that mean "old" is bad? Of course not. But we're talking about fashion, not about clothes. Fashion is about the new thing, the next thing, or about taking old things and rethinking to make them seem new. Fashion always moves forward. Iman said something during the judging that we thought was absolutely brilliant: "At the end of the day, I don't need another dress." You can buy clothes in a million places, but there are only a few places and a relative few people who are truly doing Fashion, capital F. MG's collection had its flaws, but to us, it was pure fashion.

[Photos: slice.ca]

No comments:

Post a Comment