Search This Blog

Monday, April 6, 2009

Isaac Mizrahi Interview


Darlings, with the advent of Bravo's The Fashion Show, expect to see more of Isaac Mizrahi on these pages, which thrills us, because he's always been a hoot and a half and always says something that gets people talking. One thing's for sure: we're going to have to come up with a kickass nickname for him. Of all the nicknames we've come up with, "The Duchess," (for Madame Kors) always struck us as our best and the most fitting (although we're insanely proud of "Shelley O," truth be told).

Anyway, here's Isaac, in an interview with MediaBistro, opining on everything from Shelley O herself to his new show.



"You're one very busy man who just got busier. How did the new show come about?

I was talking to Andy Cohen [Bravo's senior vice president of production and programming], who I think is the most charming, fabulous person on Earth, and we were talking about one project and he came back and said, 'What about this?' I had even more enthusiasm for this idea than the one we had been talking about. A few weeks later, he came back with an offer and here we are. I can't refuse him anything. Actually, that's the best part of this relationship -- I do adore the Bravo people so much. They're so smart -- smarter than the average network executive.

What can you tell me about your role on the show?

I'm the host and kind of like the head judge. [...] I felt like, 'Oh my God, this is the most fun, engrossing job in the world because when you take away all your preconceived notions about it and get that this is a bunch of struggling young designers who are really trying to prove themselves, the drama of that, at least to me, is irresistible. After almost every elimination, I feel like sobbing. It's very, very sad for me.

I don't know how they are going to edit it. They may edit it where I'm telling [the contestants] all the bitchiest, meanest things, but I do think they need to hear that. They do need to rise above the whole personal thing and play it like a game, but it's tricky. At the same time you're encouraging them to make it the end-all, be-all of their lives -- like, 'Unless this is completely attached to your ego, don't bother.' This is totally personal and not personal at all. Do you know what I mean?"

There's probably no bigger fashion star right now than Michelle Obama. What do you think she's going to do for American fashion?

I think she's going to be an unbelievable ambassador for fashion. I love her -- especially because she loves clothes. She has such a young take on the whole thing. Young, yet proprietary. She's kind of like the Carrie Bradshaw of the next 10 years."

Source: So What Do You Do, Isaac Mizrahi, The Fashion Show Host/Liz Claiborne Creative Director? [MediaBistro]

[Photo: Bravotv.com]


Post a Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment