Search This Blog

Monday, October 6, 2008

Laura Bennett: Didn't I Feed You Yesterday?



Our gal is writing a column for Tina Brown's recently launched site, The Daily Beast. As with everything else, she's defining motherhood on her own damn terms.

"Thank God for school. I never understand the mothers who get excited just before breaks, as if getting to sleep for thirty extra minutes in the morning is worth having to take care of your own kids all day. Sure, camp helps, but I have six children ages 20 years to 20 months, so there is no camp that can possibly accommodate them all. Besides, sleep-away camps don't take toddlers. Not for three straight months, anyway."

[...]

There are mothers who wouldn't dream of missing a moment of their child's educational experience. They would hover around the door of their first grader's classroom and peek through the window at intervals to check for signs of separation anxiety, ready to leap in and assure their child that their unconditional love is lurking nearby. I am not that type. And frankly, my six-year old doesn't need me to be, as evidenced the first time he walked into his classroom, comfortable and confident, looked around and intoned, “Where the hell is my cubby?”


Read the rest of the column here!



[Photos: Courtesy of Laura Bennett]

No comments:

Post a Comment