Search This Blog

Friday, August 15, 2008

Interview with Keith

This morning, we woke up, rolled over and said "Keith? Would you mind if we did a little interview?" He yawned, stretched, and said "Sure." So we did.





First of all, how does is it feel to be the hottie-du-jour reality tv contestant? There is not one single gay site out there who hasn't posted pictures of you or mentioned how hot you are.
I love it. Exposure is exposure, right? I definitely want to be known as Keith Bryce, the Fashion Designer, but I have to let the world get to know me, so I am taking advantage of the publicity.

You mentioned you were raised by your mother and your three sisters. What was it like growing up gay in Salt Lake City?
I'm sure it's comparable to growing up in any other conservative, traditional community. Salt Lake City is beginning to bloom demographically and culturally, but it has a well-earned reputation for being home to people with very traditional family values, so homosexuality kind of conflicts with that. But all in all, Salt Lake is a very safe, warm place to live.

What made you try for Project Runway?
I felt like it was a great platform to introduce my work to the world. Project Runway has always inspired me and I wanted to be a part of it. The other designers, past and present, are an inspiration to everyone watching the show- I was inspired and I want to inspire others. That's a lot of inspiration;)

Best and worst moment on the show.
Worst: episode 3 judging- my artistic perspective was reduced to a "toilet paper dress". . . I thought it was beautiful, and it fit the challenge to a t. . . Best: every week that I am "in"!

How did you feel winning the Lipstick Jungle challenge knowing that your work will be on TV for the world to see?
It makes it all worthwhile! Project Runway has been such an awesome journey for me, and having my outfit worn by such a beautiful fashion icon on such a great program is just AMAZING.. It's another venue for the world to get to know Keith Bryce!!

What do you take away from this experience?
I will take this experience as the opportunity for the next step. Reality television is something else, but it certainly is a great way to present yourself and your work to the world.

How did you become interested in fashion?
I've always had a passion for fashion. . .:)

What's the fashion scene like in Salt Lake City?
Growing. . . there's a palpable buzz, a feeling in the air. We certainly haven't been thought of as a fashion hub up to this point, but we are changing that. There is a growing community of artists and fashionistas breaking through, creating and wearing progressive fashions. It's exciting to be a part of it!!

Tell us about Filthy Gorgeous.
Filthy Gorgeous was created by Artist and Designer, Keith Bryce. Transcending the boundaries of traditional Fashion apparel, Filthy Gorgeous is focused on creating unique, wearable art, whether it be an artistic one-of-a-kind t-shirt or a couture evening gown. Keith Bryce's intention from the very beginning has been to create a platform for Filthy Gorgeous which combines art, fashion, and a modern lifestyle in an original way. At the forefront of this vision has been the Filthy Gorgeous Artist Network - a venture established to showcase the talents of accomplished as well as unknown artists who inspire our community and push the boundaries of creative excellence. Through school programs and as a venue for budding artists and designers, Keith has stayed true to his dream of creating an unparalleled opportunity to enhance the community through creative expression.

Filthy Gorgeous in essence is redefining the way the market views art and fashion in a generation of mass-production and mass-consumerism. It is about inspiring our generation, providing something of substance and culture and above all doing it with a passion for creative integrity and originality.

Where do you draw inspiration for your collections?
Life! It's cliche, but really, I am inspired by everyday, the magic of the world around me, different people, lifestyles, energy. . .I think that is how we are all inspired!

You're a self-taught designer with a background in marketing and advertising. What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of that? How would you describe your design process?
It has been helpful in that I see myself creating original and progressive work that is still marketable. Self-taught means I am forever learning! It is a process every day, but I am not held back by technicalities-I have the perspective of an artist, I believe I can create anything!

You also make your own fabrics. Could you tell us a little bit about that?
I have a background in abstract art, and so I love to communicate that through fashion. I love to be as creative as possible, and fabric is just another canvas for my perspective.

What kind of person do you imagine wearing your clothing?
My aesthetic is based on a unique perspective for everyone . . .I want to create fashions WITH my clients, make wearable art that fits the wearer. I want everyone to wear my clothes! I love colors and textures and no rules! I just want to make something beautiful!!

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
Traveling the world! I definitely want to be considered a staple of the Fashion Industry. If you are going to Fashion Week, you'll need to see Keith Bryce's collection while you're there!


Filthy Gorgeous' Portfolio:







[Photos: Bravo/Justin Grant via Filthy Gorgeous]

No comments:

Post a Comment