Search This Blog

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Editing's a Bitch.





Recently auf'd Jennifer has been making the interview rounds and falling back on that reality television perennial, "It was the editing," which is right up there with "I'm not here to make friends." First, she sat down with Fancast:

What did you think?
Well I have to say, living the experience was really positive. I had a great time and I felt like I represented myself. Then watching it, obviously everything is edited, and I felt like it wasn’t a true representation of what really happened. I was a little bit bummed about that, but you know, any exposure is good exposure I guess.

How was it a misrepresentation? What was edited out?
Well I can’t really go into too much detail about it, but Tim really liked my outfit. I noticed that they did a voice-over with afterthoughts and it was kind of disappointing because I know that he really thought my outfit looked good and that I put a lot of thought into it, so that was a little sad. Also I think maybe I wasn’t shown having as many friends as I did on the show, when I got along with everybody, and had a really good time. It seemed like I was always so sleepy, watching the show it seems like I’m kind of in my own dreamlike world. But I really did have a good time doing it and did have a lot of fun.

Are you upset about being portrayed like that?
You go on to reality shows and you just kind of have to accept the good with the bad going in. I don’t think there was anything bad, I just would have liked to have seen a little bit more of the fun I had on the show, which would have truly represented how the show was.

So, there’s been a lot of chatter about your “Holly Golightly goes to a Salvadore Dali exhibit“ style, people thinking your clothes aren’t very surreal, and then Tim calling your Olympic outfit matronly. What do you make of all that?
Well what he [Tim] actually said to me was ‘I saw your outfit from across the room, and it looked matronly at first. Now that I see it I really like it, and I don’t think that at all.’ So obviously the story got told the way it needed to be told, but that was a little disappointing. At the same time, as far as the surrealism thing goes, my whole quote, which - if I hear one more time I think I’m going to be sick to my stomach – they kept repeating it and repeating it without any explanation. Why I chose to describe my line that way, or my style, is that those are two recognizable characters: one for 1960’s cocktail style, and one for a surrealist style. Dali is not my main inspiration, but to a wide variety of people he’s very recognizable. I have a very vintage sensibility with my clothes, and they’re feminine and girlie. At times I draw from the 1960’s and then more of my surrealist inspiration comes from a surrealist fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli. She did kind of tongue-in-cheek details in her clothing and that’s kind of what I take and put in my clothing. She would do things like a lobster dress.


Then she sat down with Entertainment Weekly for more:

Nina kept saying that you couldn't separate your personal design taste from what the challenge was, but it is a balance. It sounds like having your personal voice and style is important.
That's exactly how I feel. I think the problem is that the judges can't step back from their aesthetic. They're saying they want to see something more modern, but they need to see past that and see the effort that goes into it. This is my style. Critique it for how it is within my style. Not just what your taste is. But I agree with her in the fact that I shouldn't be designing for myself in this challenge. I should be designing for an athlete, who is a different person. Yeah, I agree with her in that matter.

When Tim consulted, he seemed unsure of your outfit and said that when he saw it from across the room that it looked matronly. Did you do much to change it after he said all that?
Well, I'm not sure how much I should be saying. Tim really liked my outfit. Did you notice they kind of voiced-over another opinion as an afterthought? He said, ''I was looking at your outfit from across the room and the top kind of seemed matronly.'' And then they filled in something else, but really then he said, ''But I see it up close, and I see the inspiration, and I really like it.'' So he really liked it. There was no information to take and change. He thought it was good.


Project Runway Roundup: Jennifer Auf'ed, Says She Was "Misrepresented," If She Hears Any More Surreal Comments She'll Be "Sick" [FanCast]
'Project Runway' Exit Q&A: Jennifer Diederich [EW]
[Photo: Bravo/Jay Sullivan]

No comments:

Post a Comment